Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Emma from U.K

-->
Pencil skirt and golden purse



 Here’s a work look for the dog days of summer; Choose a bright sleeveless blouse like this Paisley top by J.Crew  and a neutral skirt with a length just above the knee; the ruffle on this brown plaid one adds a playful touch; less  structured and serious.

It’s better to wear sheer pantyhose; the intense hue of these weighs the summer look down, but I only have colored tights without runs.

Wear closed toed pumps in a warm neutral (T-strap oxford heels by Ann Taylor) Oxfords are a hot trend this season as the menswear look takes off for fall.

Just a few accessories; only 2 of my stacked ring set from target; and only choose one with a pop of color like these plastic bangles.


Polka dotted pencil skirt


 Sometimes its the simple things in life….like a plain tee to downplay the power of a polka dotted pencil. I love the muted palette with soft brown and pearly-white.
Skirt by DKNY and beaded tee by AT LOFT, pumps by Nine west


Art Deco-rated


 This teal silk blouse by the Limited with inverted lace triangles , mini-pleats and delicate beading always reminded me of the top of the Chrysler building, maybe because its so shiny too. I bought it at the Village thrift a couple years ago

For a work look I paired it with a polkadot cardigan from J.Crew and AT LOFT trousers with teal and tan houndstooth print.

You can’t be afraid to mix prints, but these colors are small patterns are conservative enough to be glossed over, yet still catch the eye

Accessories: brown crocodile peeptoe pumps by Nine West, gold lace covered chain evening clutch by Banana Republic and tigerseye cross earrings

Pineapple Upside Down Cake


 While the weather doesn’t feel like a tropical paradise….there’s no reason our accessories can’t help us dream of one. In colonial Williamsburg, pineapples were a symbol of hospitality and friendship, So I love this necklace from H&M ($5.95) representing my 2 homes; Hawai’i and Virginia, plus pineapples are just fun!
 Crew neck cotton sweater by Ann Taylor layered over a hounds tooth button down oxford in the same color palette says office casual, while the gold houndstooth pleated skirt (both by Banana Republic) dresses it up for a non-Friday fancy ensemble and gives a simultaneous 70′s retro vibe,
The front-facing pleats were sitting strangely, so I turned the skirt 3/4 and they straightened out. I opted for these low-heeled loafers from Nine-west because my T-straps cut the length of my legs and my feet have suffered enough in tight  boots this week.

Peacock

 Since I’m wearing the stunning  emerald and amethyst  tie neck silk halter with peacock feather print from Banana Republic
 There’s no lilac in the blouse, but I love this lighter shade of purple for the belt to monochromatically compliment it and make it pop against the grey skirt. J.Crew skinny leather belt $2.90 from Village Thrift. Silk tie halter blouse $12.97 on clearance at BR.
 I layered over this Kelly Green cotton knit tunic From the BR Factory outlet  and tucked both into my favorite ultra  high-waisted pencil; with dark thin vertical stripes H&M skirt   to elongate the body.


This envelope shoulder bag/ convertible clutch with art-deco detailing provides structure and visual interest and sits at just the right height on the body to not overwhelm the top half or bulk up the bottom.



French


 I’m having a love-hate relationship with today’s ensemble. I love this pink striped A-line with black waist bow detail from Ann Taylor

However, the accessory I want to draw your attention to is this vintage white popcorn handbag. My sister collected a few of them and I hadn’t thought much of them until today, for a retro vibe!


Plaid skirt


I ended up dressing more like a school girl myself in this Ann Taylor plaid Kilt and T-strap Mary Janes. (Burgandy bow tee and brown cardi were also  from Ann Taylor—although believe it or not none of these pieces were bought at the same time)

The skirt was a little too big, it wouldve been more flattering for the waist line to be higher and nipped in a bit, but since it still cut above the knee, it was passable
 If I had swapped those tights for bobby socks and worn my hair in pigtails….then it might’ve gone too far



Christmas morning



I’ve always had to wait on my family to wake-up before I can open presents…..so while most people spend Christmas morning in P.J.’s, I have time to fix my hair and put on something cozy but chic: brown leggings,black cashmere turtleneck and taupe cashmere wrap sweater looks luxe with my faux- fur trim booties.

Stewardess Barbie


 I may have gone too far with today’s ensemble, but in fashion a little avant-guarde goes a long way. I was either inspired by yesterday’s airport trip or  excited for the new PanAM show to come on, but either way I ended up slightly stewardess a la 1960′s fabulous!

Skirt: Gray silk gathered tulip skirt by Ann Taylor 
 tights: from BR $1.97


hirt: glammed up this plain cotton tee with silkskirt and glitter pumps. This knit navy shirt by Merona from Target was given to me by the same friend who gave me the red gap dress, the flower and beaded details give it extra pizazz


 Scarf: vintage silk scarf, belonged to my grandma. The pattern has pale pink and purple parasolls which is why I chose the pink shoes as an accent color, plus Navy and fuschia look great together!
Shoes: Betsey Johnson pink glitter peeptoe pumps paid about $30 at Secondi consignment shop in Dupont circle, originally about $168


-->

No comments: